Monday, September 10, 2007

Dancing again! (Never give up hope)

A little story from my past.......

During, and after the war I was in a Russian labour camp for two and a half years. I was very sick there, and when I came home in June 1947 the Hungarian Government sent me (with a few others) to a sanatorium, a Health Resort for three weeks.
There I had all kind of mental and physical therapy, good food and they gave me some pocket money.

Every evening after supper I went to the open-air restaurant to eat some ice cream, or a little wine, and to listen to the good music. Before the war I was a good dancer and I loved to do it.
In the restaurant it was hard to find good looking and good dancing ladies, but I had fun.

Almost every evening I noticed a beautiful young girl pushed by her parents in a wheelchair. When they arrived, she stood up, took a few steps and sat down to a regular chair and never moved until they went home. With her feet she followed the rhythm of the band. They were living in the best part of the city. Many people knew them, greeted them, old and young.

The last evening of my stay, I don't know how and why, I got the idea and went to their table and said: "Good evening. My name is Leslie." I asked her parent's permission to dance with their daughter.
For a few second there was silence, as my approach seemed to be very extraordinary, and much unexpected. The mother wishperd to the girl: to go, and to me she said: "Yes! With pleasure!"
She stood up, holding my hand and very slowly walked with me to the dance floor. The band was playing a nice tango, my favorite. She was a little shaky when I put my arm around her. Slowly we started dancing. One minute later we were the only couple on the dance floor,, everybody sat down and watched us.
I saw her parents and many others with tears running down on their faces.

She told me her story:

Since she was very young, she was studying hard to became a ballet dancer. She had talent for it. She was twelve years old when polio struck her. In the last five years she received all kind of painful treatments and therapy. Nobody, not even her doctor had any hope that she will able to walk again. She love she listened to music, which was and is her love. She said, in a few days she will be seventeen years old, and this dance is her best birthday gift ever, and a turning point of her recovery!

I was honored and happy that I did ask her to dance and to make her hopeful and very happy. When the music stopped, slowly we walked back to the table and I expressed my heartfelt thanks. Her mother approached me, hugged me, repeating her thanks with tears in her eyes. WHAT A REWARD!

On the way back I realized I forget to ask her name, but it was too late, the next morning I left the Spa. I don't know what happened to her. Did she recover fully? Became a dancer? A wife? A mother?

I HOPE SHE DID IT ALL!

No comments: